Asparagus Kale Pie
This is a delicious, heart-healthy vegan pie with a smooth and creamy filling.
It has a flavor all its own - a rich treat for someone on a vegan diet.
Roast vegetables make a nice accompaniment (see notes below)
- 6 potatoes quantity depends on size - use enough to make 2 cups mashed
- 1 tbsp almond milk optional (or soy or hemp or oat) unsweetened
- 1 tbsp olive oil optional (extra virgin )
- 1/2 cup raw cashews unsalted
- 1 cup almond milk (or soy or hemp or oat) unsweetened
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped ( common brown mushrooms) or other mushrooms, to taste
- 2 cups asparagus chopped into pieces about 1/2 inch long
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped, tough stems removed
- 8 ounces canelli beans, cooked
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
Chop the potatoes into small pieces
Boil potatoes until soft and then mash thoroughly.
If desired, use a little almond milk and/or olive oil to get a smooth mixture.
Use a blender to mix the cashews and the non-dairy milk to obtain a creamy liquid.
Pour the creamy cashew, non-dairy blend into a large oven-proof baking dish.
Add all the other filling ingredients and mix well.
Smooth and level out the mixture in the baking dish.
Top the mixture with a uniform layer of the mashed potatoes.
Place covered baking dish in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes
Then remove the cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve.
Consider roasting some vegetables (sweet potato, turnip, parsnip) to serve with this pie.
Refer to our Roast Veggies recipe for details.