What a wonderful treat to be able to enjoy an easy to make, tasty whole grain, gluten-free, vegan bread. It has a mild flavor and soft texture, making it very digestible.
Try it with your favorite spread.
It toasts up beautifully. We love to toast it and then spread the toast with a little marmalade.
Watch out… it is addictive!
NOTE: This recipe is for a bread machine.
Whole Grain Oat Bread - gluten free
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cups Whole Grain Oat Flour
- 3 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour gluten-free
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp yeast
- Assemble the ingredients.
- Add the flax seed to the warm water in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the water-flaxseed mixture into the bread mixer bowl. Add the cider vinegar, olive oil and honey.
- Pour the Oat and Baking Mix flours into a large bowl. Add the sunflower seeds (optional) and xanthan gum. Mix THOROUGHLY!!
- Distribute the dry flour mixture from the bowl in a layer over the wet ingredients in the bread machine bowl.
- Make some small depressions in the dry mixture, not so deep that they expose the wet ingredients underneath. Sprinkle the yeast into the depressions.
- Select the Gluten Free cycle on the bread machine and start it.
- After the machine has been running for a minute or two open the lid. If you notice dry flour adhering to the side of the inner bowl, quickly use a knife to mix it into the moist batter. Close the lid and let the cycle continue.
- When the bread machine cycle is finished open the bread machine. Remove the bread from the machine inner bowl and set it on a wire rack to cool.