Broccoli-Ginger Stir Fry
Broccoli and ginger, combined with a variety of vegetables deliver an easy-to-make, tasty dish.
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped ginger
- 2 carrots
- 1 large floret finely chopped broccoli
- 1 floret cauliflower
- 4 oz tempeh
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- 4 oz sliced water chestnuts
- 1/3 pound snow peas
- Assemble ingredients for this recipe.
- Heat the black pepper, diced onion, chopped garlic cloves and ginger in a stir-fry pan with a small amount of water ( about 1 tbsp) over Medium-High, stirring as needed.
- Meanwhile, cut the carrots into chunks and put them in a microwavable dish with a small amount of water. Cover the dish and microwave the carrots until soft ( 5-8 minutes). Mash them without draining the water and add the mixture to the stir-fry pan, reducing the heat to Medium. Continue cooking, stirring as needed.
- Chop the broccoli and cauliflower into medium sized pieces. Microwave them in a covered dish with a small amount of water until tender, but not too soft ( about 5 minutes). Add them to the mixture in the pan; continue cooking, stirring as needed.
- Chop the tempeh. Add it along with the tamari soy sauce to the mixture in the pan. Continue cooking, partially covered, for about 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Chop the mushrooms into medium sized pieces. Add the mushrooms and water chestnuts to the mixture in the pan. Continue cooking, partially covered, for about 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Distribute the snow peas over the top of mixture.
- Cook, partially covered, over medium heat for about 2 minutes longer, then it is ready to serve.
If the mixture in the stir-fry pan dries out during cooking add a small amount of tamari soy sauce, vegetable stock or water to keep it moist. We enjoy this dish accompanied by brown rice and a side salad.