This is a great dish for a vegan brunch.
It is a tofu substitute for scrambled eggs – and as quick and easy to make!
The amazing thing is that the black salt ant tumeric make it taste and look like scrambled eggs!!
- 10 oz firm tofu (2/3 of 14 oz package)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp black salt (kala nimak)
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 8 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- Assemble the ingredients.
- Press the water out of the tofu. Use a tofu press to do this. Alternatively press the tofu between two plates, placing a heavy weight such as a can of tomatoes on top.
- Crumble the tofu into a small bowl, by hand. Sprinkle the black pepper, black salt and tumeric over the tofu and use a spoon to mix them together.
- Add the almond milk to the bowl and stir until the all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Slice the tomatoes in half.
- Drizzle the olive oil in a large skillet on medium setting.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and mushrooms to the skillet and saute for a few minutes on a medium setting. Move this vegetable mixture to one side of the skillet to make room for the tofu.
- Add the crumbled tofu mixture to the other side of skillet and stir it for a few minutes to scramble it and allow it to cook evenly. At the same time turn over the vegetable mixture as needed, keeping it separate on the other side of the skillet.
- The scrambled tofu is ready to serve.
Other vegetables may be used. For example red or green peppers for more of a Western Omelette style.