Ingredients Group 1
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
Ingredients Group 2
- 2 tomatoes large chopped tomatoes or canned/packaged equivalent ( 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped zucchini ( medium)
- 1 cup eggplant(medium)
Ingredients Group 3
- 3 leaves whole bay leaves
- 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 2 tsp fresh chopped oregano optional
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Assemble ingredients for this recipe.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the black pepper and cook for about 2 minutes to allow the pepper to release its flavor. Reduce the heat to medium, add the chopped onion and garlic and continue cooking uncovered for another 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the mixture.
- Add the chopped red pepper, green pepper and zucchini. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender but not too soft.
- Chop the eggplant into small cubes. Add the chopped eggplant, bay leaf, thyme and oregano (optional). Reduce the heat if necessary and simmer for 20 minutes, partially covered, stirring frequently.
- At the last minute stir in some chopped basil and the ratatouille is ready to serve.
- Garnish each serving with some chopped basil.
Another serving option that works well is to accompany it with some freshly made whole grain bread.