This is a delicious vegan version of the tradition Spanish Paella rice dish.
It is simple to make for a family dinner, but also makes a great dish to take to a Pot Luck.
- 1 cup bomba /paella rice preferably with paella seasoning included
- 1 tsp paella seasoning only needed if not already included in rice mixture
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
Oil and other items
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2/3 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 2/3 cup cooked kidney beans
- 2/3 cup carrot slices
- 1/2 cup tempeh or baked tofu cubes
- Assemble the ingredients.
- Note: This step is only necessary if the seasoning is not already included in the rice. In a small bowl sprinkle the paella seasoning over the rice and mix in thoroughly.
- Cook the sliced carrots in a little water until slightly soft (boil or microwave)
- Heat the olive oil in a large open paella style pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and black pepper, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the rice mixture and cook, stirring as needed, for another 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared stock/water and vegetables, and bring to a boil, stirring once or twice.
- Turn the heat down to a low setting. Cover and cook for about 25 minutes, until a thin crust forms on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, covered for about 10 minutes.
- The paella is now ready to serve.
- Serve (accompanied by a green leafy vegetable if desired).
Saffron is the most important ingredient for getting the traditional paella flavor. Unfortunately saffron is quite expensive and some of the paella seasonings skimp on the quantity.
Be careful that the seasoning you use has adequate saffron ( read product reviews ).