This is an easy to make, tasty vegan version of old fashion cabbage rolls. The Napa cabbage gives it a mild flavor which blends well with the plant based ingredients.
Napa Cabbage Rolls
- 8 leaves napa cabbage (large leaves)
- 1 medium chopped onion (white or yellow)
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup cooked wild rice blend
- 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups tomato sauce (one 15 oz can)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (one 15 oz can)
- 2 tbsp dill seeds
- 1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Assemble ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cabbage leaves in a medium sized saucepan. Cover with water and boil for 2 or 3 minutes until slightly softened and pliable. Remove the leaves from the water and spread them out on a flat surface to drain excess water off them.
- In a medium bowl mash the cooked kidney beans into a lumpy paste ( it should not be too smooth).
- Add 1/2 cup tomato sauce, onion, rice, black pepper, dill, oregano, parsley, chopped garlic, cayenne, pepper and mix well.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the bean/rice mixture on each cabbage leaf.
- Fold in the sides of the leaf and roll it up from the bottom to the top, folding the sides over.
- Arrange the stuffed leaves in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl combine the diced tomatoes and remaining tomato sauce. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and cover the casserole dish.
- Cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours until the cabbage rolls are tender.
- Let sit for 15 minutes in a warm place, to allow flavor to develop, then serve.
They may need to be cooked a little longer to make them tender and easy to handle.