This is a nice variation on a bean salad that is easy to make, tasty and nourishing. I derived this recipe from a product that is offered by Farm Boy at their deli counter. This recipe has fewer ingredients and no oil to make it easier to produce and more in keeping with our no added oils approach. We also do not add salt and recommend that you either prepare your own beans or ensure that you purchase low sodium canned beans.
I serve it with salad greens and some olives and tomatoes to make a filling and nutritious meal. According to the Farm Boy recipe a cup of this salad will provide about 9 grams of protein and about 150 calories.
Horseradish Bean Salad
- 8 oz. dark red kidney beans
- 8 oz. chick peas ( garbanzo beans)
- 8 oz. white beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp horseradish (or more to taste)
- 3 stalks diced spring onions
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Serve and enjoy! You can vary the bean mixture you use depending on what you have available. For white beans think of white kidney beans, small lima beans or navy beans, You might also add a little garlic or hot sauce according to taste.