This is a simple,easy to make, vegan chili recipe.
We like to make it in a crock pot, but it can also be made in a saucepan on the stove top.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 sweet potato
- 26 oz crushed tomatoes ( 1 package)
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups dark kidney beans (2 or 3 cans)
- 2 chili peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano or 1 tbsp dried
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup tempeh optional
- Assemble Ingredients.
- Have ready a crock pot, or saucepan in which to cook the chili.
- Peel the sweet potato and cook it in a dish with a small amount of water, until soft. This is easily done in the microwave by cooking, covered for about 8 minutes. Mash the sweet potato.
- Put the crushed tomato, tomato paste, and mashed sweet potato in the cooking pot and mix.
- Drain the beans and add to the pot
- Chop the pepper(s) and add to the pot
- Crush/chop the garlic and add to the mixture
- Chop the onion, celery and oregano(optional), and add to the mixture
- Sprinkle the cumin over the mixture and stir well
- Optional: Crumble the tempeh and add to the mixture
- Heat the pot until small bubbles start to break the surface. Immediately reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 2 hours. Then it is ready to serve, or can be left keeping warm for a little while to allow time for the flavor to develop.