- 2 pounds assorted root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, turnip, potatoes etc)
- 1 handful rosemary different herb(s) may be used if desired
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Assemble the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. The temperature at which you cook the vegetables depends, in part, in how finely you chop them up. If you dice them into 1/2 inch cubes you should probably go with 350 F. If they are quite large pieces you might want to go to 400 F. These temperatures will provide your roasted vegetables in 60 to 90 minutes. You should check the progress at 30 minutes and 60 minutes and adjust the temperatures up or down as needed. Some root vegetables cook more quickly than others. Sweet potatoes cook most quickly and rutabaga most slowly. Above 400 F the vegetables will burn on the outside which is not desireable.
- Cut the vegetables into medium sized slices (e.g. see photo) or as discussed in the previous item on temperature.
- Select a plastic bag that is large enough to hold all the vegetables. Chop the herbs into small pieces and put them in the plastic bag. Add a small amount of olive oil and shake the bag to mix the herbs and the oil.
- Add the prepared vegetables to the bag and shake lightly to coat the vegetables with the herbs and oil.
- Lay out aluminum foil or parchment paper (to be preferred) on a baking sheet and spread the prepared vegetables on it.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for up to 1 1/2 hours. The actual baking time required will vary depending on how finely the vegetables are sliced. Check progress after 30 minutes, and 45 minutes. They are done when it is easy to stick a fork into them. We recommend checking the firmness after the first 45 minutes and then every 15 minutes until done.
- The vegetables are now ready to serve with your favorite dish.