Memorial Day 2014
Remembering Those Who Served
The grave of Gerald BH Solomon
This 2014 Memorial Day we honor Gerald Solomon, former marine and congressman for Saratoga Springs. A strong patriot, an exemplary American, Gerry’s efforts were largely responsible for the creation of the National Cemetery next to the Saratoga battlefield where so many of our soldiers lie. After his untimely death in 2001, the cemetery was renamed Gerald BH Solomon National Cemetery, in his honor. A good friend, he is dearly missed.
A special treat from the grill for Memorial Day.
No need to feel left out when everyone is grilling!!
These shish kabobs taste great and are easy to prepare.
Special thanks to our son, Vaughan
(shown preparing some shish kabobs in the above photo)
Memorial Day Shish Kabobs - Vegan
- 8 whole cherry tomatoes
- 16 slices zucchini
- 2 large sweet onions
- 16 small brown button mushrooms
- 16 slices yellow summer squash
- 8 cubes tempeh
- 8 slices red pepper
- 8 wooden skewers
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- Prepare all the vegetables and tempeh by slicing or cubing as necessary so that they will fit on the skewers.
- Arrange the ingredients on 8 skewers.
- Spray lightly with olive oil
- Moisten the skewer ends ( to prevent the wood from burning)
- Grill on medium heat for about 3-6 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking. The veggies should look cooked through, but not singed.
- Serve on a bed of brown rice.
- The easiest way to prepare brown rice is using a rice cooker. Follow the directions for the cooker. Typically the rice/water ratio is 1 cup rice/ 2 cups water. So for this recipe use 2 cups raw rice and 4 cups water.