This is a delightfully cool, yet filling and nutritious, vegan salad – ideal for those hot summer days!
If cooked brown rice is on hand this salad can be prepared at short notice.
Crunchy Green Salad
- 1 cup cooked, cold brown rice
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dark red kidney beans
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey or more, to taste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or more, to taste
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- Put the rice in a large mixing bowl. (Instructions for cooking the rice are available in our Brown Rice recipe.)
- Chop celery, broccoli and cauliflower into small pieces. Also finely chop the onion. Use a food chopper or processor if available.
- Add the chopped ingredients (celery, broccoli, cauliflower and onion) to the bowl and mix in.
- Mix in the corn, cranberries, raisins and kidney beans
- Sprinkle the turmeric over the mixture and stir in.
- Mix in the olive oil, honey, vinegar and hot sauce.
- If time permits, refrigerate for at least one hour. This will allow the flavor to develop.
This salad works well by itself for a light lunch. It is also great accompanied by blue corn chips, mashed sweet potato, corn on the cob, or whole grain bread. It is adapted from a salad available from the Deli at Hannaford Supermarket in Saratoga Springs, NY. Unfortunately their product contains eggs so does not meet the vegan standard.