Creamy Broccoli Soup
This is an easy to prepare, nutritious soup for a cold day.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 stalks finely chopped celery
- 1 head finely chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup red onion - chopped
- 2 cups filtered water or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast optional
- Cut up the potatoes and carrots and boil in filtered water,separately, until soft 20 - 30 minutes. Once cooked use an immersion blender to puree them. Put them to the side until later
- In a blender add the cashews and almond milk and blend them into a liquid cream. Put aside until later.
- In your main soup pot add the celery, broccoli, red onion and filtered water. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the potato-carrot puree, mix and bring to a low boil. Add filtered water as desired for consistency.
- Add the black pepper and stir in
- Stir in the creamy cashew - almond milk mixture. Cook for 5 minutes at a low simmer. Stir as necessary and add water as required for your desired consistency. Keep the heat just at a low simmer or this mixture can stick and char, depending on how thick you like your soup.
- Taste your soup and add pepper if desired.
- Add the (optional) nutritional yeast to give the soup a slightly cheesy flavor. Simmer for a few more minutes an serve.
- Store any left over soup in jars and keep in the fridge. They will keep in the fridge for a few days, but you should like this soup so much that they won't!