This is a recipe for cooking brown rice in a Rice Cooker.
It can also be used for cooking rice in a saucepan on the stove, but cooking in a Rice Cooker tends to be easier and more reliable.
We frequently use brown rice in in our plant based diet. This recipe for cooking brown rice uses a rice cooker with a brown rice setting. If you do not have a rice cooker ( with a brown rice setting) we recommend getting one. It will make your meal preparation so much easier. We only use brown rice, never white rice. It takes longer to cook, but it is much healthier. We also avoid using quick cooking rice which may not be as healthy, and does not taste as good.
- 1 cup uncooked organic brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups filtered water
- Prepare the rice by putting the uncooked brown rice in the Rice Cooker bowl. Cover with water and let sit for 5 minutes
- Drain all the water from the bowl.
- Add the water to the rice in the bowl.
- Put the bowl in the rice cooker and start it, being sure to use the Brown Rice setting, if available.
- Immediately the rice cooker is finished remove the bowl from the rice cooker and let it sit, covered until ready to use.
There are many varieties of brown rice. We encourage you to experiment with different varieties. You will find that the flavor varies. We recently served brown rice to friends who usually eat white rice and they commented that the brown rice had a nutty flavor. Be sure to take the rice out of the cooker/off the heating element as son as it is cooked, otherwise it may create a crust on the bottom which is not as palatable. We tried preparing brown rice sold in a plastic steamer package and were not happy with the results.